Welcome to day 4 of the New Quilt Block Hop sponsored by Fabri-Quilt! I can’t even believe how many amazing blocks everyone has showcased this week.
Fabri-quilt generously donated fabric for myself and all the other bloggers today posting new blocks as part of the hop. We had 6 fat eighths of this fun watermelon summer color palette.
So today I get to share my block along with 15 of my dearest bloggy friends. Check out blocks on the blogs of all my other Fabri-Quilt New Block Hop hoppers to see the blocks they’ve created!
- Host Terri Ann (that’s me!) of Childlike Fascination made a string showcase block
- Robyn of Hoops & Thimbles made a seahorse star block
- Helen of Midget Gem Quilts made a summer blog hopping
- Jinger of Trials of a Newbie Quilter made a lovely sailboat block
- Anja of Anja Quilts made a floor tile inspired block
- Mary of Quilting is in my Blood made a taffy pull block
- Emma of My Handmade Home made a fun pieced block
- Francine of Mocha Wild Child made a treasure hunt block
- Dena of Living Water Quilter made a beach ball frenzy block
- Deb of The Farmhouse Quilter made a square sky block
- Lori of SewPsyched! made a modern dogwood block
- Amy of 13 Spools made a Adele star block
- Denise of CrafTraditions made a magic squares block
- Sandra of The Bias Edge made a chevron among chevrons block
- Kathryn of Upitis Quilts made a modern popsicle block
- Sandra of One Million Stitches made a Georgian flag block
The block I made is, what I’m calling, the String Showcase. It finished at 12″ finished block and uses 6 fat eighths. It reminds me of those fun striped beach umbrellas, perfect for our watermelon summer color palette!
12″ String Showcase Quilt Block Tutorial
- 1 fat eighth for the corners
- 4 fat eighths for string pieces
- 2 sheets of paper
I use the Carol Doak’s foundation paper but you can use printer paper or newspaper, just make sure to drop your stitch length (I set my machine to 1.5)
Sew String Piece Squares
Start off by cutting a piece 2 pieces paper 7 1/2″ square and draw a diagonal line across the paper
Cut 4 @ 1″ x ~ 22″ strips from each string piece color. Cut then from the long edge of the fat 8th
Lay two long strips right side together along the drawn line with the strips overhanging the edge of the paper by about 1/2″
With your stitch length shorter than usual (I use stitch length 1.5) then sew through all three layers 1/4″ from the edge.
Press strip open
Continue sewing strips till you cover the corner of the paper
Repeat in the other direction to cover the entire sheet
Trim the excess to the edge of the paper
Repeat steps 1-8 and make a second strip piece square
Sew Half Square Triangles
Cut 2 @ 7 1/2″ square from the core. Mark a diagonal line on the wrong side of fabric
Line up the string block with the solid square, the marked diagonal should go in the same direction as the string pieces
Sew 1/4″ to both the left and right of the marked line and cut along marked line
Press seam towards the solid color and repeat steps to make two more half square triangles
Finish the Block
Trim all the half square triangles to 6 1/5″ square
Piece blocks into pairs then sew the two halves together using a 1/4″ seam allowance
Tip: Use Clover wonder clips to keep the HST from shifting
About the paper
I leave the paper on until the end but as I sew the blocks together I rip the paper out of the seam allowance so I can press my seams nicely!
Once the block is complete I’ll use my seam ripper (and sometimes a pair of tweezers) to remove the scraps of paper that has been perforated by the stitches. The lower stitch length makes this easier to pull the paper away.
Now that we’ve completed the 12″ String Showcase blocks let’s get to the other fun part.
Fabri-Quilt was so kind to donate all the fabric for all the hoppers in this blog hop AND they’re topping it off by giving away a half yard bundle of the Watermelon Summer palette.
To enter today’s giveaway follow the Inspired by Fabric blog (either by email or blog reader) and let me know using the Rafflecopter widget. You can win an extra entry by leaving a comment on this post too! The giveaway is open to everyone (international entries welcome), and the giveaway will be open through Monday, September 7th at 11:59 pm EDT. Good luck! Inspired by Fabricis also hosting a *separate* giveaways this week too so make sure you check that out too!